Thursday, September 21, 2006

I will always remember the first time I saw her. She was young and so very cute. I was 22 and she 18, it just seemed we hit it off from the start. I cannot say if it was love at first sight, but I can say it did not take many glances to figure it out. She was very gorgeous and quite a hottie as well, so yes there was certainly a physical component to the attraction, but it was not all there was. We knew each other for a long time before we ever experienced each other in a physical way. I must say, it was the first time in my life that it didn't matter. I enjoyed her company and just being in her presence made me feel alive. Her name is Brenda.

When we first met I had just ended a very bad marriage. Actually it was just a mistake we had made at a young age. I did not hate her nor she me, at least I don't think she did. I was not interested in a relationship when I met Brenda. I did get to know her a bit but I was just content to be alone. She had left home the year or so before that after her mother died. One night I left the bar and was going back to the base (Navy) and I noticed her hitchhiking. I stopped and picked her up and scolded her a little for taking such chances. She told me she had a boyfriend but he was not all that interested in helping her out with rides, so she walked or hitched. I think this is what started our friendship. I tried to make sure she always had a ride home. At least I knew she would be safe with me. I hated taking her home to him though. Seemed he was not treating her with respect and although I did not know her that well, she was not deserving of this treatment. She became attached to me a little more than she ever told me at that time and I was oblivious to her desires even though I did really like her. I knew she had a boyfriend and I was just trying to make sure she was cared for and safe since he seemed uninterested.

I left and went to Florida for 3 years and she wound up getting married and eventually ended up in Wisconsin. When it came time for me to transfer again I had the choice between Charleston, SC., and Groton, CT. I loved Charleston, but I wanted to return to Connecticut and look into some unfinished business. Her husband died in a car accident and she returned to her roots. I went to one of the old hangouts and sure enough I saw her. She looked different. She grew into a beautiful young woman. I never doubted that would be the case. Of course she recognized me right away and she sat with me and we spent the night chatting and catching up on our lives. I asked her to have dinner with me the next evening and she accepted. She ate like a bird though, and she confided much later in life that she didn't want to embarrass herself by eating too much. And all this time I thought she hated Chinese food. That dinner happened on July 19th, 1981. On December 30th, 1982 we were married and that begins a new chapter that I will fill you in on in a later post. It will be 24 years this December and I would like another 24 years even though I am certain that won't happen. I still see that young woman when I look at her, complete with that hot little body. That too would be a separate post, hmmmm, perhaps I'll keep that one to myself.

I love you Baby, always have, always will.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

pqGreat love story.You two are lucky to have found each other again.I wish for you at least 24 more years together.Stay well!

Deb

Anonymous said...

This is so funny.Don't know how I got my new name,LOL.That was my word vertification.I typed my name in so anyway that is a good new name for this ditzy blonde!

Anonymous said...

Great love story Loren. Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside when you know that you have a soul mate and can share so much love. I know. I've had that feeling for the last 44 years and it's still going strong!
Keep writing. I'm enjoying your blog.

Anonymous said...

Loren, this story actually made me get tears in my eyes. Please keep sharing.